All 5 of our Finalist Quilts will be entered into the 18th Brother International Quilting Contest being held in Japan in December. The quilts will travel to Japan and will be displayed at international venues. We wish our finalists all the best in the international competition.
Brother Quilting Contest 2018
The Theme for the Contest is
"My Favourite Things"
What happens next?
We have our winners!
Congratulations to the winners and thank you to all the entrants of our first Brother South Africa Quilting Contest. The high quality of the quilts submitted made the task of judging a tough one but we had the professionals on board and they know their quilts! Plus, a big thank you to all the voters who contributed their Fan Vote to the Contest. Here are our winners.
My favourite things in life are family and family life. When I saw the photograph of the three grey crowned cranes by Johann Harmse, I immediately thought that it reminds me of family life. I got permission from Johann to make a quilt of his photo. The tightly knit bond and communication between a father and a mother, are necessary to help raise well balanced children and this little scene inspired me to put it into a quilt.
THROUGH THE WINDOW
A Tribute to my Dad. I grew up on a farm and cannot imagine a greater childhood than growing up on a farm. Memories of climbing trees; eating fruit fresh from the tree; the farm animals; and riding along on the tractor with my dad. This quilt is a good resemblance of the main house where my dad was born and died in.
BALLOON RIDE ABOVE A FOREST
It is a water colour quilt. It is my 1st water colour quilt. I just fell in love with the concept of water colouring with fabrics. My kit was bought from Whims in the USA. it took me 6 weeks to complete as the layout and learning to do the colours from dark to light to medium light to dark light and light medium to medium dark, to dark on the layout was quite challenging but with a rewarding satisfying result.
Judge's Choice Special Mentions
Fan's Choice Winner
THROUGH THE WINDOW
2018 Quilting Contest Judges
Sandra de Wet
Director: INTERCHANGE South African National Quilt Festival 2019
Based in Johannesburg, she has been an avid quilter for the past 40 years, using fabric and threads to express her creativity. She appreciates the strong worldwide quilting traditions but even more that quilting keeps reinventing itself to keep pace with modern times.
Sandra enjoys learning, experimenting and meeting with fellow quilters. She is committed to growing the public interest in quilt making. Sandra loves quilt competitions! She enjoys both making her entry and then seeing all the wonderful works on show.
Chairlady: Golden Rand Guild for Quilters
As a six year old, working her grandmother’s treadle machine, Pat Murdoch discovered her love of all things fabric over six decades ago.
Pat learnt tailoring between pregnancies in the 1980s and during the 1990s she taught underprivileged women dress-making and general needlework. She discovered the wonderful world of quilting in 2004 and has been an enthusiastic student of several outstanding quilting teachers in South Africa.
Pat has a special love for African themes and colours but also appreciates the great European and American traditional works. She is continually inspired by the work produced by our local quilters and is proud to be a small part of fostering the growth of this magnificent craft.
Our South African judging panel will select 5 winning quilts from the entries submitted. The winners will receive cash prizes:
- 1st Prize of R3,000
- 2nd Prize of R2,000
- 3rd Prize of R1,000
Two additional Special Mention awards will be made for quilts displaying a particular uniqueness. These awards will be made at the judges discretion.
- These quilts will be awarded R500 each.
The 5 finalist quilts will be presented on the web site for a Fan Vote. The winning Fan’s Choice quilt will be awarded R500.
A lucky draw will take place where one lucky voter will win a mystery prize.
Cast your Fan Vote here!
Have your say and vote for your favourite finalist in the Brother South Africa 2018 Quilting Contest. The Fan Vote will be combined with the Judges result to give us our South African Winners. The Judges decision is final.
YOU MUST BE REGISTERED AND LOGGED TO CONTINUE
FORGOT YOUR DETAILS?
2018 Quilt Contest requirements
All quilts must conform to the following criteria to be eligible for the Contest:
- The THEME for 2018 is “My Favourite Things”
- The quilt should be 70 x 70cm (within 5cm)
- Quilts should consist of 3 complete layers; top fabric, quilting cotton and back fabric; all sewn together
- Use any quilting technique but do not frame your quilt
- A hanging sleeve of 10cm must be sewn on to accommodate the hanging pole
- A label with your name, contact number, email address and country must be sewn onto the back in the bottom right hand corner
- Your quilt must be an original artwork
- Do not use copyrighted material without permission
- Your quilt may not have been entered in any other contests
- You may enter more than one quilt
- Each quilt entered requires a separate entry form and entry fee.
Packing your Quilt
- Please ensure your quilt is securely wrapped and packaged to avoid damage while in transit
- Packaging should be waterproof
- Make sure your Entry Form and Proof of Payment is included in the package.
Delivering your Quilt
All quilts must be received at Brother Head Office in Irene by Monday, 15 October 2018. Quilts can be delivered by hand, post or courier to:
Angelique McGrath, Brother Head Office, 96 Sovereign Drive, Route 21 Corporate Park, Irene, 0157
You may send more than one quilt in the same package. Please ensure that EACH quilt has an entry form and proof of payment attached.
- All costs of quilt delivery to be covered by the entrant
- Brother International South Africa will not be responsible for quilts lost or damaged during transit
- We will confirm receipt of your Quilt package by email, please ensure we have your correct email address
- Do not send your quilt to any other address other than Brother Head Office. Brother South Africa will not be liable for quilts that are shipped to the incorrect address.
Entries are closed
Terms & Conditions
Please take note of the following Terms & Conditions:
- The Contest is open to residents of South Africa and sub-Saharan African Countries
- Brother staff members, dealers and distributors are NOT eligible to enter the contest
- Each quilt entered requires a separate entry form and entry fee
- No cash will be accepted at Brother premises
- More than one quilt may be submitted in the same package
- Entries must reach Brother Head Office, Irene, on or before 15 October 2018
- Quilts received after the closing date will not be eligible for judging
- Quilts must conform to the design criteria listed under Quilt Requirements
- Judges will be selected from the Quilting community and announced at a later stage
- Brother staff members and distributors will not be on the judging panel
- Judging will take place in one location only
- The Judges decision is final.
- The closing date for entries is 15 October at Brother Head Office. Quilts received after this time will not be eligible for the contest
- If the entry fee is not paid by the closing date, the quilt will not be eligible for the contest
- Winners will be announced in the first week of November.
PRIZE WINNERS – South Africa
- The top 5 winning quilts as adjudicated by the Judges will win cash prizes
- These quilts will be entered into the 18th Annual Brother Quilting Contest in Japan
- Quilts not selected as winners in the South African contest will be available for collection from 12 November or will be shipped back to the entrants
PRIZE WINNERS – Global Contest
- The 5 winning quilts will be sent to Japan and entered into the 18th Annual Brother Quilting Contest
- Evaluation of the Global Contest will take place end of December and winners will be notified by February 2019, latest
- Winning quilts will be displayed at various Brother International events during 2019 before being returned
- Quilts not selected as winners in the Global Contest will be returned to South Africa in March 2019
- Entrants agree that the rights to display, publish and advertise winning quilts is retained by Brother Industries, LTD.
- In order to return your quilt, please ensure your contact details are clearly stated on your Entry Form as well as on your quilt.