Brother International Quilting Contest 2019
"My Favourite Things" Theme
Our South African quilts will be heading to Japan shortly to take part in the 19th Annual Brother International Quilting Contest and will compete against the winning quilts from participating Brother Group companies.
We wish you all the best of luck in the international contest!
We have our South African winners!
Birding is my Passion
Birding is my Passion
Cast your Fan Vote here!
Have your say and vote for your favourite finalist in the Brother South Africa 2019 Quilting Contest. The Fan Vote will be combined with the Judges result to give us our South African Winners. The Judges decision is final.
2019 Quilt Contest Requirements
All quilts must conform to the following criteria to be eligible for the Contest:
- The THEME for 2019 is “My Favourite Things”
- The quilt should be 70 x 70cm (within 5cm)
- Quilts should consist of 3 complete layers; top fabric, quilting cotton and back fabric; all sewn together
- Use any quilting technique but do not frame your quilt
- A hanging sleeve of 10cm must be sewn on to accommodate the hanging pole
- A label with your name, contact number, email address and country must be sewn onto the back in the bottom right hand corner
- Your quilt must be an original artwork
- Do not use copyrighted material without permission
- Your quilt may not have been entered in any other contests
- You may enter more than one quilt
- Each quilt entered requires a separate entry form and R100 entry fee.
PACKING YOUR QUILT
- Please ensure your quilt is securely wrapped and packaged to avoid damage while in transit
- Packaging should be waterproof
- Make sure your Entry Form and Proof of Payment is included in the package.
DELIVERING YOUR QUILT
All quilts must be received at Brother Head Office in Irene by Monday, 14 October 2019. Quilts can be delivered by hand, post or courier to:
Angelique McGrath, Brother Head Office, 96 Sovereign Drive, Route 21 Corporate Park, Irene, 0157
You may send more than one quilt in the same package. Please ensure that EACH quilt has an entry form and proof of payment attached.
- All costs of quilt delivery to be covered by the entrant
- Brother International South Africa will not be responsible for quilts lost or damaged during transit
- We will confirm receipt of your Quilt package by email, please ensure we have your correct email address
- Do not send your quilt to any other address other than Brother Head Office. Brother South Africa will not be liable for quilts that are shipped to the incorrect address.
2019 Contest Entry Form
Great prizes to be won
Our South African judging panel will select winning quilts from the entries submitted. The winners will receive the following prizes:
- 1st Prize of a Brother F420 Sewing Machine valued at R10,500!
- 2nd Prize of R3,000
- 3rd Prize of R2,000
- Fan’s Choice Prize of R1,000
The 5 finalist quilts will be presented on the web site for a Fan Vote. The winning Fan’s Choice quilt will be awarded R1,000.
2019 Quilt Contest Judges
Sandra de Wet
Director: INTERCHANGE South African National Quilt Festival 2019
Based in Johannesburg, she has been an avid quilter for the past 40 years, using fabric and threads to express her creativity. She appreciates the strong worldwide quilting traditions but even more that quilting keeps reinventing itself to keep pace with modern times.
Sandra enjoys learning, experimenting and meeting with fellow quilters. She is committed to growing the public interest in quilt making. Sandra loves quilt competitions! She enjoys both making her entry and then seeing all the wonderful works on show.
Qualified South African Quilters Guild Judge
Alet studied at Pretoria University where she obtained her BSc. Honours degree, specializing in clothing and interior design. She has been a keen quilter for more than 20 years and has good knowledge of the different quilting genres. She has won numerous prizes in SA national festivals and local competitions, and has thus achieved Master Quilter status. In 2011, she qualified as a judge with the South African Quilters Guild. Since then she juried and judged quilt competitions locally and in Zimbabwe including at the SA National Quilt Festival in Port Elizabeth in 2017.
Qualified South African Quilters Guild Judge
Margie started quilting around 1993 and enjoys all aspects of quilting, from the traditional to the modern and art. She has joined a few quilting groups over the years, served on numerous committees and held various portfolios. She attended as many quilt shows and classes as she could, to expand her quilting knowledge. She was fortunate to attend the South African Quilters Guild judging course and qualified. Since then she has judged in a number of local and regional guild quilt shows.
Terms & Conditions
- The Contest is open to residents of South Africa and sub-Saharan African Countries
- Brother staff members, dealers and distributors are NOT eligible to enter the contest
- Each quilt entered requires a separate entry form and R100 entry fee
- No cash will be accepted at Brother premises
- More than one quilt may be submitted in the same package
- Entries must reach Brother Head Office, Irene, on or before 14 October 2019
- Quilts received after the closing date will not be eligible for judging
- Quilts must conform to the design criteria listed under Quilt Requirements
- Judges will be selected from the Quilting community and announced at a later stage
- Brother staff members and distributors will not be on the judging panel
- Judging will take place in one location only
- The Judges decision is final.
- The closing date for entries is 14 October at Brother Head Office. Quilts received after this time will not be eligible for the contest
- If the entry fee is not paid by the closing date, the quilt will not be eligible for the contest
- Winners will be announced in the first week of November.
PRIZE WINNERS – South Africa
- The top 5 winning quilts as adjudicated by the Judges will win cash prizes
- These quilts will be entered into the 19th Annual Brother Quilting Contest in Japan
- Quilts not selected as winners in the South African contest will be available for collection from 11 November or will be shipped back to the entrants
PRIZE WINNERS – Global Contest
- The 5 winning quilts will be sent to Japan and entered into the 19th Annual Brother Quilting Contest
- Evaluation of the Global Contest will take place at the end of December and winners will be notified in March 2020
- Winning quilts will be displayed at various Brother International events during 2020 before being returned
- Quilts not selected as winners in the Global Contest will be returned to South Africa
- Entrants agree that the rights to display, publish and advertise winning quilts is retained by Brother Industries, LTD.
- In order to return your quilt, please ensure your contact details are clearly stated on your Entry Form as well as on your quilt.