The 20th Annual Brother International Quilting Contest now open for entries
South Africa wins the 2019 Brother International Quilting Contest!
Congratulations to Tilly de Harde of Johannesburg, South Africa on winning two international prizes in the 2019 Brother International Quilting Contest. Tilly was awarded First Prize for her quilt titled Zentangle Owl and was awarded a further Outstanding Performance Award for her quilt titled My Fantasy Garden.
Entries are now open for the 2020 South African Edition Quilting Contest. Now is the time to get started on your entry and stand in line for great local and international prizes.
THEME FOR 2020
My Favourite Things
Use your favourite fabrics, colours and quilting styles. Draw your inspiration from any of your favourite places, seasons, hobbies, animals and foods. Let your creativity run free but remember that all quilts have to be 70 x 70cm!
2020 Quilt Contest Requirements
All quilts must conform to the following criteria to be eligible for the Contest:
- The THEME for 2020 is “My Favourite Things”
- The quilt should be 70 x 70cm (within 5cm)
- Quilts should consist of 3 complete layers; top fabric, quilting cotton and back fabric; all sewn together
- Use any quilting technique but do not frame your quilt
- A hanging sleeve of 10cm must be sewn on to accommodate the hanging pole
- A label with your name, contact number, email address and country must be sewn onto the back in the bottom right hand corner
- Your quilt must be an original artwork
- Do not use copyrighted material without permission
- Your quilt may not have been entered in any other contests
- You may enter more than one quilt
- Each quilt entered requires a separate entry form and R100 entry fee.
PACKING YOUR QUILT
- Please ensure your quilt is securely wrapped and packaged to avoid damage while in transit
- Packaging should be waterproof
- Make sure your Entry Form and Proof of Payment is included in the package.
DELIVERING YOUR QUILT
All quilts must be received at Brother Head Office in Irene by Monday, 14 October 2020. Quilts can be delivered by hand, post or courier to:
Angelique McGrath, Brother Head Office, 96 Sovereign Drive, Route 21 Corporate Park, Irene, 0157
You may send more than one quilt in the same package. Please ensure that EACH quilt has an entry form and proof of payment attached.
- All costs of quilt delivery to be covered by the entrant
- Brother International South Africa will not be responsible for quilts lost or damaged during transit
- We will confirm receipt of your Quilt package by email, please ensure we have your correct email address
- Do not send your quilt to any other address other than Brother Head Office. Brother South Africa will not be liable for quilts that are shipped to the incorrect address.
2020 Contest Entry Form
Terms & Conditions
- The Contest is open to residents of South Africa and sub-Saharan African Countries
- Brother staff members, dealers and distributors are NOT eligible to enter the contest
- Each quilt entered requires a separate entry form and R100 entry fee
- No cash will be accepted at Brother premises
- More than one quilt may be submitted in the same package
- Entries must reach Brother Head Office, Irene, on or before 14 October 2020
- Quilts received after the closing date will not be eligible for judging
- Quilts must conform to the design criteria listed under Quilt Requirements
- Judges will be selected from the Quilting community and announced at a later stage
- Brother staff members and distributors will not be on the judging panel
- Judging will take place in one location only
- The Judges decision is final.
- The closing date for entries is 14 October 2020 at Brother Head Office. Quilts received after this time will not be eligible for the contest
- If the entry fee is not paid by the closing date, the quilt will not be eligible for the contest
- South African Winners will be announced in the first week of November.
PRIZE WINNERS – South Africa
- The top 3 winning quilts as adjudicated by the South African Judges will win prizes
- 5 Finalist quilts will be entered into the 20th Annual Brother International Quilting Contest in Japan
- Quilts not selected as winners in the South African contest will be available for collection from 13 November or will be shipped back to the entrants
PRIZE WINNERS – Global Contest
- The top 5 finalist quilts from South Africa will be sent to Japan and entered into the 20th Annual Brother Quilting Contest
- Evaluation of the Global Contest will take place at the end of December and winners will be notified in February 2021
- Winning quilts will be displayed at various Brother International events during 2021 before being returned
- Quilts not selected as winners in the Global Contest will be returned to South Africa
- Entrants agree that the rights to display, publish and advertise winning quilts is retained by Brother Industries, LTD.
- In order to return your quilt, please ensure your contact details are clearly stated on your Entry Form as well as on your quilt.